I work with a lot of bloggers just starting out. They dream of the opportunities their blog could provide. And guess what? I get to watch the entire process unfold. We show bloggers how to set up a blog, get started, and offer support. One of my greatest joys in this business is being privileged to see bloggers just go for it and then seeing the doors that open for them. It’s empowering.
If you can dream it, you can do it.
Armed with these opportunities, even more doors open… both in terms of income and a flexible work-from-home-on-your-hours position.
- You can stay home with your kids while contributing to the family income.
- You can knock out some debt.
- You can finally bulk up your savings account.
- You could pay off your house.
- You can have an outlet… something to dream about.
- You could go on vacation.
- You can work in the fringe hours of the day while working your day job so eventually your side-business can become your full-time job.
- You can change your career. (JT did this! He says 5am changed his life. And my life!)
But, in order to get to this point, you have to learn to monetize your blog. It’s what we all wonder…
How do I making money by blogging?
The basic answer is:
- Affiliate links (read this post to learn about affiliate links)
- Brand sponsorships
- Offering a service or product (physical or digital)
When I mention this basic list to people, their eyes glaze over. It’s hard to visualize it. Try this list:
- Being sponsored by your favorite brands… you get free clothes from your favorite brands in exchange for a review… so not technically “free” but if you love fashion, this is a perfect fit for your passion.
- Travel… you get paid to travel and experience new resorts, locations, and activities.
- Meeting like-minded peers… people that actually get you and think like you. Your world will be opened up.
- Making money by affiliate links… put together a post and every time a link gets clicked, you earn money… what’s your passion? Put together a decorating list, your favorite wardrobe pieces, etc. When you share about what you love, people will follow.
- Help people decorate, design, or flip houses. This is how I got started! Start an E-design business. When you share your expertise in a blog, people will trust you and want your opinion and help. I’ve personally seen many e-design businesses take off. It’s amazing.
- Blog to gain a following. Then, you can open a shop. You will already have an audience built in.
- Offer an e-course… teach about blogging, personal finance, decorating, web design, graphic design, raising babies, essential oils, meal planning… you name it!
- Offer digital goods… like home organizing printables, stationary, WordPress themes (!), prints, etc.
- Are you really good at blogging? Offer blogging services! Help other bloggers with virtual assistance work, social media management, or creating graphics.
- Offer meal planning services.
- Write an e-book… what are you an expert in? What do you KNOW? People will pay you for your expertise. And you don’t need a degree behind your name to be an expert… you can show what you know by blogging.
- Start that Etsy shop! Danielle Oakey, Sarah Swanson, and Clean Mama did this and their shops have exploded!
- Do you love taking pictures for your blog? People will see your talent. Open your photography business…. everyone wants pics of their babies and Christmas cards. If you’ve got the eye, put yourself out there.
- Maybe you blog about organizing… start your own organizing consultations!
- With blogging, you need to create graphics. Do you enjoy this? Start offering graphic design work for friends, local and remote businesses- this is how I got started… I started blogging about interior design and design services, taught myself PhotoShop and then I landed a job (working from home!) doing graphics for a small, start-up software company.
Blogging offers so many opportunities. It offers you an outlet. You need something to work on. You need goals. You need dreams. Find something that gets your butt out of bed. Something that just excites you.
Find your fire. Live the life you’ve wanted. You’ve got it make it happen. No one else will do it for you.