If you’ve been wanting to set up a newsletter for your readers, MailChimp is one of the easiest programs to set up… one of my faves for our WordPress customers! If you are on a budget, the “Forever Free” plan will be perfect for you. This tutorial offers step-by-step instruction for setting up and configuring your MailChimp list with the Genesis eNews Extended plugin which is what our themes recommend and are used on our WordPress theme demos.
We love Genesis Enews Extended because it’s so simple (no fluff at all and it works!) to add the Enews widget to your widget area and then quickly and easily add mailing lists to a Genesis blog or website… and even if you switch mailing list services, you just re-paste the link.
Ready? Let’s get started!
Step 1 – Installing the Plugin
- Go to Plugins > Add New
- Search for “Genesis eNews Extended” (by Brandon Kraft)
- Install > Activate
- Browse to Appearance > Widgets
- Drag over the “Genesis eNews Extended” widget to the location where you’d like to use it
Step 2 – Grabbing Your MailChimp Code
After you have created your MailChimp account, you will need to create your List. Once you have it ready then follow these instructions.
- Go to Lists
- Look for the List you’d like to connect
- On the right hand side of the list, click the drop down arrow next to Stats
- Select Signup Forms
- Click the “Select” button next to “Embedded forms“
- Under the “Embedded forms” click the “Naked” option
Tip: Because MailChimp has enabled “auto highlight”, stop now. Open a new Page in your website. Click the Text tab. Leave it open.
Step 3 – Configure Genesis eNews Extended
- Go back over to where you left off in MailChimp.
- Click inside the Embed box and it will highlight everything. Click copy or Ctrl+C on your keyboard (PC).
- Go back to the opened page on your website.
- Paste the code.
- Look for the code similar to the image below. Look for “Form Action“.
- Select the highlighted code (do not include the apostrophes. Copy that entire URL.
- Go back to Appearance > Widgets.
- Open up the “Genesis eNews Extended” widget.
- Paste the URL into the Form Action box.
Configuring Your Fields
- Enter the field names just as they appear in the image. They must be CAPITALIZED. If you intend to capture the E-Mail Field only, include the email address. If you would like to capture the first and last name as well, enter the code for them.
- Then scroll down and save it.
One you have it all configured, go to the front of the website. Enter your information into the form and hit the submit button. If connected properly, it will display one of the MailChimp screens congratulating you on signing up or letting you know you need to verify your sign up by validating your email.
If it does not present one of the two options, but an error – visit this post again and make sure you have followed all of the steps properly.
To learn more about how to configure the other options for Genesis eNews Extended, visit their installation page.
Click Here to Download our
WordPress Launch Checklist
It’s just me and my dog Bella. I am a freelance web developer at Cre8tiveDiva.com. I build websites using WordPress and the Genesis Framework, provide troubleshooting and support. I love chocolate, lots of coffee and my favorite movie is Gone With the Wind!